Wednesday, March 14, 2012

We're Having a BOY!

Well, our good news is that we are having a baby boy, due July 23rd (my dad's birthday). I'm 21 weeks along, and we are so grateful and excited! The doctors say everything is going well and that our son is healthy and on track for growth. I can feel him wiggling around every day now, and it is a great comfort to me, and now I don't feel as much like I need to have an ultrasound machine to make sure he's ok. :)

We haven't decided on a name yet. We feel we just need to see him first, so we'll all have to wait until July to find out.


I have been feeling very ill and exhausted for most of the pregnancy, but I am doing better than I was in the first trimester. Eating (and keeping fluids down) has been a great challenge at times, and I am excited for the upcoming warm weather and produce that's in season. I only lost 3 pounds in the first trimester though (which is a miracle when I contemplate how much food actually stayed inside my stomach and how much did not...), and I have gained it back, and about 4 pounds on top of that, so that is great news.

(P.S. Since this will be our first baby, people love to give unsolicited advice to me and to tell me horror stories of pregnancies they have had or have heard of. - While I do often have questions, and will ask them when I want to, usually the advice I haven't asked for is not very helpful....such as the lady on the airplane who told me "You should stop drinkin' soder. It's not natural. You need to drink gingerale because that's all natural. And you should drink pickle juice to help with the nausea." That one was the most interesting. Also, people, when they find out that I have been sick, they love to tell me pregnancy horror stories about women who were sick for the whole time every time, so sick that they had to get IV's at the hospital, etc. Although Seth tells me that people say these things to try to help me be grateful for my situation, I have found that they are more frightening than comforting - So please, no horror stories. But, I do know that everybody means well and that they just want to relate to me. - So I will try to smile and not worry too much. - And I won't be drinking any pickle juice. That is certain.)

I've got 7 more weeks left of teaching ESL at Cleveland State University, and then I will be taking probably 2 semesters off. We have been very blessed because I've been hired for an online job grading the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). I can work from home and choose when and how much I want to work. It is just what we need!

We feel that the Lord has blessed us abundantly, and although it has been difficult, we know it is worth it, and it is what we want. We are so excited to be parents. Seth has been an angel throughout this whole time. He has mostly taken over all the shopping, cooking, and most of the cleaning while I have been sick. He has waited on me, hand and foot, and has never once complained. I am so thankful for him, and I know he'll be the best dad ever!

10 comments:

Ariel said...

Yay Emily!!! Since you've gotten too many horror stories, I'll tell you a good story! When you see and hold your baby for the first time, you will feel more love and more happiness than you've ever felt before. And it will get even stronger:) It's amazing and I'm so happy for you! I hope you're feeling better soon:)

Jared, Miranda and Max said...

Yay! I think you already know the horror story I would share-- mine! Ha. But don't think about that, truly I would change very little about my situation and nothing about our darling, devilish little Max. SO happy for you... more than you know. I can't wait for future posts on your progress. :)

Tippettsfam said...

YAY!!! Congrats Emily. Horror stories are silly. Pregnancy is great, as is delivery :)(i'm slightly serious here).

Good luck!!

Erin Anderson said...

Emily,
I am so so so happy for you and Seth! While any mom has lots of horror stories you will find there are far more beautiful stories to be told! Labor is the most miraculous experience you will ever go through in your whole life! Good luck and cant wait to hear more! P.s. he is one beautiful little boy in that ultrasound! =)

Hogg Family said...

I'm just so happy for you two! How exciting! Hopefully you just keep feeling better and better! So wonderful about that online job too. Congrats on both!

Brittney said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you. It's wonderful to have a great husband to help out!!! I feel blessed in that way as well. Take care.

Jenny G said...

This announcement brought some tears to my eyes. I am so excited for you guys. Congratulations!

lani said...

We are so excited for you!!! I'll have to send you a list of labor helps that my doula gave me--they are wonderful! You and Seth will be wonderful parents-- we can't wait for you!!

The Benson Family said...

Oh my stars! You are going to be a mama!!! Yay! I am super excited for you two! Sorry I'm so late in the congratulations department! That doesn't make me any less excited, just behind the times!

Pregnancy is all your own! Every experience is different so you can make it all your own too!

Love you!

Denisse said...

Emily! I am so out of the loop! You are pregnant!!!!! This is the best news I have read in a long, long time!!!! I am so genuinely happy for you and Seth. What a wonderful time for you guys. Motherhood is an amazing adventure. Congratulations!:)