Wednesday, September 19, 2012

26 Birthday Blessings

Well friends, it's true! I turned 26 on Sunday, September 16, 2012. It seems just the same as 25, but I guess I'm inching closer and closer to 30, and that doesn't sound as old to me as it used to, especially because Seth will turn 30 in January. Let's face it, we're just adults. I think of that every time I pay our bills. Bills? I pay bills? I must be an adult. And I suppose the thing that makes you even more of an adult is being a parent. And I am one now, but not many things could ever make me feel more childlike and needing the Lord's help. Anyways, I had a great birthday! And I thought I'd count my blessings - to 26 of course, because more than that would make for a blog post that I'm just not up to writing - which are so many.

1. Seriously, if you just put a bow on this little guy's head, I can't think of a better present than that! - It's gotten chilly in Cleveland, so we are finally putting clothes on John. Well, sometimes. He's just a little heater box. And he overheats if we put him in clothes and a swaddling blanket. But we have to swaddle him, otherwise his flailing arms hit himself in the face and wake him up. So most of the time, this cutie is only decked out in a diaper.


But he's sooo cute in clothes! 
2. So, I'm a little excited that I can get him dressed sometimes, and just look at that hoodie! Adorable. Ok, enough of my raving about our beautiful boy. Onto the festivities!


John is all dressed up on Saturday, ready for our very first family outing! (Seth said that we all went to church together, but I hardly think that counts.) For my birthday, I wanted to get some fresh air and go apple picking! at our favorite orchard, Eddy Fruit Farm. Actually, it's the only one we had been to before Saturday, but we love it. It's in such a gorgeous area called Chesterland with amazing trees all around. - Ohio has so many beautiful trees! (Seth and I want to have a house someday in a place like Chesterland, where you have a bit of land, and your neighbor isn't too far away, but you can't see into their kitchen window.)

Last year, we went to Eddy's a few times, and it was amazing how many apples we can eat when they're fresh off the tree - delicious! 

3. And it just gives you a different perspective about food, seeing how it really grows, instead of feeling like it actually comes from the grocery store. It's a miracle that food can grow from a little seed.


We took a different route to Chesterland, and saw this beautiful historic village. All the houses were white with black shutters, it felt like we'd gone back in time. 
4. I love looking at old houses, and Cleveland is a wonderful place for that. They're everywhere! Subdivisions pretty much don't exist. Just old, unique, beautiful homes. I don't enjoy driving - not at all, but 5. I'm thankful that I can drive, and have that independence (my female students from Saudi Arabia are forbidden to drive by law) - and Seth is so nice to me, 
5. he always drives when we're together, and I get to look out the windows at all the pretty trees and houses.

Well, you might be looking at these pictures and wondering where the apples are. - They didn't have apples to pick.... "What!?" you say? Yep, no apples for picking because it got so warm in March that all the apple blossoms emerged in full glory, only to be crushed by frost and snow in April. Sad day! So, they did have some apples, but not ripe for picking. We'll try back again later in the Fall. And they had Concord grapes for picking, so we thought we'd mosey over there and take a look (taste). But, we didn't like them very much. There is a reason these are mostly only made into juice and jam. It should stay that way. So we didn't get any.

6. But it was such a beautiful day! The sun was shining bright and it was nice and warm, but not hot.
7. And we got that Baby Bjorn Carrier for $10 second hand! It is so convenient.
8. John can hold his head up most of the time now! Can you believe it! He is getting so strong.
9. And it was amazing that I made it all the way to the grape vines. They were a lot farther than we anticipated, and I walked all the way (probably the equivalent of my street) there. I am so thankful to be able to walk, which has been extremely difficult since my delivery, well and that awful rash too. Not being able to walk makes you realize what a blessing it is, and how easy it is to take for granted! So I am very grateful I can walk, even if it is haltingly. I will get better and better, and I'm thankful for that.
10. And I am grateful that terrible rash is gone, and my skin is whole again. Skin is an amazing thing. Whenever I read Stephanie Nielsen's blog, http://nieniedialogues.com/ or watch THIS VIDEO, I am amazed at her courage and faith, and I am thankful for my skin.
11. And John's skin! He's so soft, and I could kiss his chubby cheeks all day long. And I do!


After Eddy's, we thought we would venture over to their competition, Patterson's. We didn't get to see the orchard really because they didn't have apples for picking either, so that was a bummer. We are still loyal to Eddy's though.

12. I love talking to Seth, he's my best friend. (and he's so good looking! see pic above :) He is so fun to spend time with, and I loved getting to be with both my boys for the whole day!

We went to 5 Guys for dinner. We've never gone there together, and we ordered our burgers and a regular fry to share. The fries filled half the bag, so it's good we only got 1! And, little did we know that the regular burgers have 2 patties! I took one of mine off (Seth ate it, and the extra fries for breakfast on Sunday - nutritious :)

13. While we were waiting for our food, an elderly lady came and sat by me and asked to see my baby. She was very adoring, and asked me all about how I was doing. She seemed genuinely concerned for me. I thought it was a bit strange really. But later, after I pondered the occasion, I realized that this woman probably had children of her own, and she remembered how difficult it is, the recovery, and learning how to be a parent for the first time. I told her I was grateful and doing well, and she said, "And you're young and healthy. That's wonderful."

14. It is wonderful to be young. My good friend, Myrtle, is in her late 70's, and she struggles so much with the difficulties of again. She helps me realize what a blessing it is to be young.

15. Although, I don't feel as healthy or as strong as I'd like to be, and I don't know if I'll ever have the same health I enjoyed in high school, I am healthy in many many ways, and there are a billion ailments that I certainly do not have, and there's always hope for improvement.

16. We got home from our adventures, and Seth did his cardio workout. He just joined a gym this month, and he wants to be healthy and feel in shape. I am thankful that Seth has been blessed with such good health, and that he is willing to work to keep it that way.

 Later that night, Seth had Bishopric Meeting (he's the ward clerk - 
17. I am thankful that my husband serves faithfully in the church and honors the priesthood that he holds) 
and afterward they were going to watch the BYU-Utah football game until way late at night. 

18. I received some thoughtful gifts from my mother-in-law, Jeena, and from my mom and dad. I am thankful to have a loving family. As our family has expanded I have truly felt my love grow for all my family members on both sides. I am in awe of the wonderful establishment of the family, and especially of all mothers. I am amazed at what my mother and Seth's mom did to raise families of 7 children, and also of what our fathers did to support them. I was touched as I read THIS TALK, "He Truly Loves Us," by Elder Koelliker about how much God loves each of us, especially because He's blessed us with families. "Because of the heaven-designed pattern of the family, we more fully understand how our Heavenly Father truly loves each of us equally and fully."

19. So I was on my own for the evening, and I decided to watch the movie, The Blindside, that my mom sent me as part of my birthday gift. It was very funny and so inspiring. I did cry, it's true. This true story touches my heart. It shows that there are good people in every circumstance, rich and poor, black and white. My brother and sister were born into a situation similar to Michael Oher. I thank the Lord that they are part of our family now, and that they are safe and have opportunities they never could have had otherwise.

20. I was up late on Saturday night, and this is what I saw.

So peaceful and serene, I just gazed in wonder at my little miracle, a real angel. This moment made me think of the poem by William Wordsworth, 
Our birth is but a sleep and a forgetting:
The soul that rises with us, our life’s Star,
Hath had elsewhere its setting,
And cometh from afar:
Not in entire forgetfulness,
And not in utter nakedness,
But trailing clouds of glory do we come
From God, who is our home:
Heaven lies about us in our infancy! 
21. Seth made me German pancakes with cinnamon apples for breakfast - delicious!
22. I was able to go to sacrament meeting with my family, all 3 of us got to sit together. I am so glad that I get to sit next to my husband in church. It might not always be so, and I'll enjoy it now. I truly enjoyed singing the hymns with all the people there. And now that I am no longer pregnant, I'm not so out of breath anymore - my lungs have a bit more room.

22. We made fajita salads for lunch with peppers and tomatoes from our very own garden - sad I didn't take a picture of it, so I'll include this one. I LOVE having a garden and being able to go outside and get the food I need for making meals. It is just a miracle to see this food grow from tiny seeds that we planted.


Yes, this is all from our garden (and we grew baby tomatoes and cucumbers too)

And I watched THIS VIDEO (press CC for closed caption if you don't speak Spanish) - I love their lifestyle - Seth showed it to me because he knew I'd love it, and he regretted it because I watched it 3 times!

23. Seth made me this delicious salmon dinner. It was awesome! Best salmon I've ever had. I am so thankful for a husband that is willing to make dinner (quite often), is a great cook, and who's willing to eat anything I make (which isn't always very good).

24. We got to skype with my family from 4 different states. I am thankful for technology which makes that possible. I just love our family! We got to listen to my sister read her patriarchal blessing, which she recently received. It was amazing. It really helped me to see her for her divine potential. She's a wonderful person, who is doing and who will do so much good in the world. 

25. Seth gave me a wonderful massage for my birthday - I love massages! It's pretty much one of my favorite things to do, get a massage. 

26. Seth also got me a picnic table for my birthday (unfortunately, I haven't been able to use it since the delivery, and now it's cold outside) It will be awesome next year, though! And he also let me buy my brother-in-law's Nikon DX camera. It is so fancy! And I don't really know how to use it, but it takes way better pictures than our old camera, and I am excited to learn more about photography.


It was an excellent birthday, and I have so many more than 26 blessings! (Next year, I'll count 27 :) I am grateful to the Lord for all that He's given me. I love my life.

1 comment:

Erin Darrington said...

And just think all those blessings in just one weekend! And now you have the most perfect subject in the world to practice your photography on (especially before he can start wiggling away from you) :). I love that poem from Wordsworth as well, I think Pres. Monson even quoted it last conference... or at least recently.

Keep your chin up when times are tough (it is better to look up after all). You brighten the lives of all those within your influence.