Yes, it's true. On Tuesday, when John turned 8 weeks old, John and I finally took our first walk alone, all the way to the library - 15 houses away and back. You may snigger at that, but don't. That is actually quite far for me still, especially after getting me dressed and fed, feeding, burping, and dressing John, getting him in his carseat. Getting the carseat caddy and all our gear ready, and then carrying all 13 pounds of John, plus however many pounds that heavy carseat weighs, to the carseat caddy. It was a very big job for me. But I just needed some fresh air and a change of scenery. We made it to the library, and I attempted to start reading The history of Joseph Smith Jr., written by his mother, Lucy Mack Smith. But John only slept for a few minutes (see adorable photo below), and that was as I was pushing and pulling his carseat while I sat. To say the least, it wasn't the reading repose I'd hoped for, and the sky threatened rain anyhow, so we walked back home. It was a great accomplishment, and although it kind of wore me out for the rest of the day, I am glad we went. I LOVE walks, and I love to be outside, and soon it will be too cold, and I will miss going for walks, so I want to get a few in during the fall if I can.
Well, I've really been missing church, and I am glad we've gone the past couple weeks, but not without some consequences that have made me rethink my decision to go back after 5 weeks. The reason being that our whole family got sick. And I am almost positive it was from church. There have been so many sick people at church. A symphony of coughing, sneezing, and runny noses to boot. It made me nervous, all the people wanting to talk to me and adore our cute baby - I really don't blame them and am thankful for their love. But this experience has really changed my mind about going to church when you are sick because it puts others in danger of catching your illness, especially little babies and the mothers and fathers who take care of them, not to mention the elderly people as well. I repent of ever judging people who didn't come to church when they were sick, because I think I used to because I thought that everyone needs church, even the sick people - especially me because I've been 'the sick people' very often for many years. But if it's contagious, I think it's better to find a way to worship at home and have the sacrament administered to you there. This will also provide an opportunity to rest and get better faster and puts less people in danger.
We caught a terrible cold. I started feeling a headache, sore throat, and just aches all over on Monday. On Tuesday night, it had really progressed, and it was clear that Seth and I both were sick. I was so worried about John getting sick, or me getting so sick that I wouldn't be able to care for him on my own, and that Seth wouldn't be able to go to work. Seth was so kind to give me and John Priesthood blessings which promised that we would recover from this illness, and that it would not harm John, and that he would continue to grow strong and healthy. I was so comforted by that. I was also blessed that I would have the strength and energy to fulfill my duties as a wife and mother. I was very thankful for this.
We got through Wednesday alright, but Thursday, I was laid very low. The sinus headache and congestion was so bad that I admit that I cried, it hurt so. The pressure was so intense it even hurt my eyes, my eardrums and my teeth. I am grateful to Seth, and his bosses, that he could come work from home in the afternoon and take care of us. The medicine from the store relieved the pressure only slightly, but the pain was still intense.
Seth couldn't work from home on Friday, and I knew I could not care for John by myself if I was still that sick, and by then John was also getting sick. I felt so worried, and I prayed fervently that the Lord would ease the pressure so that I would be able to function, and that I would get a little sleep and be able to take care of my sick child through the night and the next day.
It was not fun, but I am thankful for this experience because it reminded me again of the Lord's power, and that He answers prayers. On Thursday night I did get a couple hours sleep and the sinus pressure was greatly relieved. The illness settled more into my nose and throat, but it was so much better than the sinus headache and congestion. On Friday, I physically and spiritually felt the strength that the Lord was sending to me, and I was able to care for John. I know He answered my prayer. He did not take the illness away, but He 'eased the burdens which were put upon my shoulders, that even I could not feel them upon my back while I was ill... and this the Lord did for me that I could know of a surety that the Lord God does visit His people in their afflictions.' (Mosiah 24:14) I've learned, yet again, that we are never really alone.
Now Seth and I are gradually recovering and feel much better - I think we'll be alright in a couple days, and John is still feeling really crummy, but at least we are more able to help him now than we were before. It is a blessing that these sicknesses have been a bit staggered, so now we can take care of John while he's sick, and I don't mind holding and patting and singing him to sleep while he's sick and can't nap on his own. He is so patient, and I can already tell that this little soul has character. He is a real trooper, and I am so thankful to be his mother.


No comments:
Post a Comment