Friday, April 24, 2009

Yikes!

This is a life size photo we have here thanks to Seth. Yes, refer to the title, YIKES!, shown above. I have lived in Guatemala for 2 months, and in that time have seen bugs uglier and larger than I had imagined before, killed many of them myself because Seth went home after 3 weeks and I had to, slept in a bed that made sleeping coated in bug spray, covered in as much clothing as possible imperative, and yet I still woke up each day with flea bites covering many parts of my body. And yet, I cannot even express my utter alarm and disgust that this creature on the wall of my very own house brought to me! Woe, Woe is me! Why you say? Because even now, at this very moment this veritable monster is lurking somewhere in the unknown dark corners of my home waiting for the right moment to strike, to crawl on me or lay eggs in my house! Oh the horror! Seth said he would kill it or take it outside because I was absolutely petrified of it, but, "It got away..." was the reply I received after asking "Is it gone?" No, no. It is not gone. Seth says "This is why we have a cat. She will protect us." Ha! That thing is probably poisonous, and if Scout tries to kill or eat it, she may die. Needless to say, I stuffed a towel all across the bottom of my door last night, but now... I have no comfort. Why anyone would ever want to be an entomologist is absolutely beyond my ability to fathom!

Part 2 - I have recently learned that this bug is something called a silver fish. They are know for their quickness, and for eating book bindings because they like the glue. My poor books! It had to get in somehow, perhaps it has gotten out. Very wishful thinking....

6 comments:

Erin Darrington said...

Eee Gats! Talk about the heeby jeebies! I had a big spider in our kitchen a few months ago. I didn't want to get near it but I didn't want it to end up in my room or the babies room or for it to lay babies of it's own... so I threw a racquetball at it and after maybe 5 or 6 practice throws I got it! Big nasty splat on the wall, and a carcass on the floor which I left for Jacob to dispose of once he got home. Good luck, I hope Scout is true to it's name because Scouts are suppose to "always be prepared". Yikes again! Good luck, I miss running into you Emily!

Laura said...

EW! I am confident that you will be okay. Hopefully if he tries to come around again, Seth or Scout will protect you.

Denisse said...

Eeeeeeeeeeewwwww!!!! That thing is nasty looking!!!! Oh my heck! Seth!!!! I can't believe you didn't kill that thing!!!!!! :)

Sariah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sariah said...

Those things are nasty! I found one on our wall probably about a year ago -- freaked me out! And then about a month ago I found one in Sydney's ear (not in the ear canal, it was still on the outside)! Not that size, much smaller, and not as many legs, but still a silverfish. I hope you guys are able to find it soon!!

Martha said...

AHHHH!!! Are you sure that was a bug and not an alien from outerspace? ps I didn't know that you are a nanny.